Tips: Fasting and Intermittent Fasting + The Benefits
There are so many amazing things that start to happen to your body when you are fasting or intermittent fasting. This all started way back in ancient times when the Greeks would use this biohacking technique for healing purposes. However the actual studies of these benefits didn't start until later in the 19th century. Fast forward to present here are some of the fascinating benefits studies have found while in a fasting state;
- Promotes longevity and protects from diseases
- Helps with cellular repair
- Boots growth hormone (which is a helpful factor in muscle gain & burning fat)
- Helps with insulin levels
- Helps reduce inflammation
- May aid in nerve health
24-36 hours of fasting every couple of months is good and might be the easiest for some people. Think of it as a "factory reset" for your body. Consider having a conversation with your physician to see how often you can fast. Maybe once a week or once every two weeks can be an option but remember everyone is different. Keep in mind what might work good for someone doesn't mean it would work good for you.
Tips for Fasting
- Drink ALOT of water. Drinking tea and black coffee is also fine just make sure there is no calories in them.
- Take Pink Himalayan Salt to replenish your electrolytes -about a dime size
- LISTEN to your body! Check in with yourself to see how your feeling. Feel amazing and want to workout? Do it. Feel tired and want to rest? Do it.
- Everyone reacts to differently- some it's harder the first few days, others it's easier the first few days.
- Most importantly check with your first physician to see if fasting is right for you.
MEN 16:8 RATIO (example: 16 hrs fasting; 8 hrs eating window)
WOMAN 12-16:8-10 RATIO (this is more flexible for women)
This way of fasting seems to be the prefered method opposed to not eating long hours at a time.
You are still eating all your meals but just in a specific time frame during the day. For some it'll be easier to just a "late breakfast" or to have an "early dinner." After a while you might become less hungry and can be satisfied with 2 meals a day instead of 3-5 meals. Of course it depends on what kind of food your eating (high carb foods will spike your glucose therefore make you more hungry when it comes back down.)
Tips for Intermittent Fasting
- During your fasting window you still want to be drinking water. Black coffee and tea is also fine just make sure there is no calories in them.
- Women need to have more healthy fats so it is important to be flexible on the fasting window period (between 12-16 hrs.) For men they can do 16 hrs of fasting since they don't require to have as much fat on them.
- Listen, listen, listen to your body. If your super hungry, eat. If your not hungry at all can do another extra 1-2 hrs, go for it.
- During your fasting period you can take Pink Himalayan Salt to replenish your electrolytes as well.
- Most importantly check with your first physician to see if intermittent fasting is right for you.
*This Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.